Scottish Glens (built 1885; ship, 3m). Tacoma, WA, circa 1893-1903
Looking aft; crew on break of poop; Captain A.R. Johnson, possibly front row, fifthe from right. Chip log reel at right Brass stanchions.[CR][CR]SCOTTISH GLENS was a full-rigged ship, built in 1885 by Oswald, Mordaunt & Co., Southampton (yard no. 225) for W. H. Ross & Co., Liverpool, England. In 1898, she was sold to G. Windram & Co., Liverpool and in 1910 sold to A/S Scottish Glens (Chr. Nielsen & Co.), Larvik (Norway) and later to many another Norwegian owners. In 1918, she lost her rigging in a storm. She was sold in 1922 to Consul Sigvart Rasmussen, Haugesund and converted to a motor cargo ship with two diesel engins at the Vulcan Werke A/G, Stettin. In 1924, she was renamed HAUGAR. In 1929/1930 she was converted to a whale factory [ship?] in Sandefjord and [did] whaling in the Antarctic. She had many Norwegian owners during this time and was sold in 1940 to Leonardo Arrivabene S. A. (Leo Salom), Venice and renamed ARCA. On October 26th, 1942, she was sunk by the British submarine HMS Taku in the Aegean Sea, 9 miles South of Chios. (Sources: http://www.warsailors.com/freefleet/norfleeth1.html; http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Scottish_Glens_(ship,_1885))
U. S. National Park Service
Permission must be secured from the individual copyright owners to reproduce any copyrighted materials contained within this website. Digital assets without any copyright restrictions are public domain.
Restrictions apply on use and/or reproduction:This image is for research and study purposes only. This work may be protected by U.S. copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and other uses of protected works. Uses may be allowed with permission from the copyright holder, or if the copyright on the work has expired, or if the use is "fair use" or within another exemption. The user of this work is responsible for compliance with the law.