Signs at Castillo de San Marcos National Monument in January 2008
Signs near the entrance to the parking lot and citadel. Sign text:
"National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark | American Society of Civil Engineers founded 1852 | Castillo de San Marcos | ASCE 1976"
"Celebrate 2000 Time Capsule | Buried in Matanzas Bay January 1, 2000 | To be opened January 1, 2100 | Celebrate 2000 envision the future"
"Castillo de San Marcos National Monument | This Spanish fort, begun in 1672, stood firm against English attacks and helped Spain hold Florida for many years. During the American Revolution, it was a British stronghold. Later it became a battery in the U.S. coastal defense system. | U.S. Department of the Interior | National Park Service | Fort Open 8:45am - 4:45pm | Fort Grounds Closed 12:00am - 5:30am"
"Castillo de San Marcos National Monument | This masonry fortification, the oldest in the continental United States, anchored the St. Augustine defense system (city wall, Supplementary lines, and outposts at Matanzas Inlet, the St. Johns River, and St. Marks). The Castillo replaced the last of nine successive wooden forts which, since 1565, had affirmed Spanish dominion and protected Spanish shipping returning to Spain. | Please help preserve it by not sitting or climbing on the ancient shellstone walls. | Fort Open 8:45am - 4:45pm | Fort Grounds Closed 12:00am - 5:30am"
civil engineering landmark plaque
The location of the entrance sign is 29°53'45.1"N, 81°18'39.8"W.
Permission must be secured from the individual copyright owners to reproduce any copyrighted materials contained within this website. Digital assets without any copyright restrictions are public domain.