The Great Seal of the State of Connecticut has been the coat of arms of the U.S. state of Connecticut since May 1784. It depicts three grapevines and a ribbon below with the Latin motto: Qui Transtulit Sustinet (English: He who transplanted sustains), with SIGILLUM REIPUBLICÆ CONNECTICUTENSIS (English: Seal of the State of Connecticut) in the border.
Donor: State of Connecticut
Original material: granite
Dimensions: 2' x 4'
Sculptor/Carver: not known
Original inscription: Connecticut [abbr.]
Documented material history:
• 1914: “On May 6, 1914 a stone was forwarded to the Washington Monument custodian. It was given to the state by the D.A.R. (Mrs. Mary C. Jenney in charge). William H. Tobin . . . was contracted on July 11, 1914 to insert the stone, for $67.00. A letter from
John C. Schofield to the Governor Simeon E. Baldwin of September 17, 1914: stating that the stone had been inserted in position again on July 24, 1914.” [MR]
Documented material history of original stone:
• 1850s: “Connecticut . . . is represented by a block of native free sand-stone, of a dark red color. . . .” [RW]
• 1880 Gedney drawing
• 1880: “Connecticut Brownstone . . . Badly disintegrated on surface” [CG]
• 1885: “Badly disintegrated on surface” [Sched.]
U.S. National Park Service
Permission must be secured from the individual copyright owners to reproduce any copyrighted materials contained within this website. Digital assets without any copyright restrictions are public domain.