St. Augustine City Gates at Castillo de San Marcos National Monument in January 2008
The city gates, a short distance west from Castillo de San Marcos, date from 1739. The final form of the pillars was completed in 1808. The gates were part of the defensive wall that ran from the citadel around the St. Augustine.
town wall information sign
The location of the gate is 29°53'52.3"N, 81°18'49"W.
Sign texts reads as follows:
"The Town Wall | 1704-1821 | The fort and the wall barred the land approach to St. Augustine. | The burning of St. Augustine by the English in 1702 showed the need for additional defenses. The first of these was a palisade on this site. Later the defense was improved and extended around the town. Thereafter, no attack ever reached the homes of the people. | This replica depicts the wall as it looked about 1810."
"This gate, opened in 1739, provided the only access through the defense line on the north side of Spanish St. Augustine. | Royal engineer Manuel de Hita built this coquina pillars in 1808. | This tablet was originally erected in 1907 by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Florida. It was revised to commemorate the tricentennial of Castillo de San Marcos in 1972."
Permission must be secured from the individual copyright owners to reproduce any copyrighted materials contained within this website. Digital assets without any copyright restrictions are public domain.